The Poppies bowed out of this season’s Emirates F A Cup at full time Chesterfield today. A wholly back to the wall performance saw them hold their hosts to just a one goal advantage at half time and they were still in the game until two quick fire goals just after the hour mark. Two further goals were probably a little unfair on the battling performance as the Spireites triumphed 5-0.

Over 500 travelling fans gave fantastic support today and due to a traffic issue on the M1 some,very regrettably, were unable to get to the game.


The only change from last week was that Lewis White returned after injury and replaced the suspended Luca Purse. Will Mellors-Blair was cup tied and young goalkeeper, Niall Shackleton, was amongst the substitutes.


23 Ryan Boot
3   Branden Horton
4   Tom Naylor (Captain)
8   Darren Oldaker
9   Will Griggs (24 Harley Curtis,69)
10 Michael Jacobs
16 Miguel Freckleton
18 James Berry (11 Ryan Colclough,77)
21 Ash Palmer
22 Ryheem Sheckleford
28 Ollie Banks (40 Connor Cook,86)

Unused Substitutes:
1  Harry Tyrer
5  James Grimes
17Armando Dobra
20 Jeff King

Yellow cards: None

1  Billy Johnson
2  Owen Cochrane
3  Ben Toseland
5. Kelvin Langmead
6. Lewis White
7  Leon Clarke
8  Gary Stohrer
9  Tyrone Lewthwaite (4 Harry Reilly,90)
11 Rhys Sharpe
12 Dan Jarvis (18 Tom Scott,72)
15 Huw Dawson (10 Sam Bennett,79)

Unused Substitutes:
13 Niall Shackleton (G/ K)
14 Gedeon Okito
17 Josiah Bridgeman

Yellow cards:None

The Spireites first real attack saw Branden Horton cross from the left but it was too far and no attacker could get near it.Kettering keeper,Billy Johnson,was the quickly off his line to smother a through ball as Kettering set themselves up with a solid looking formation.

As expected Chesterfield,currently top of the National League,were moving the ball quickly with neat passing and keeping possession. The Poppies tried a long Rhys Sharpe throw into the six yard box which was cleared with Chesterfield pulling every man back.

A 10th minute home corner was cleared by Leon Clarke and more danger for Kettering saw Michael Jacobs caught offside.

It was a great atmosphere in the ground with the Kettering fans making plenty of noise.

The first 20 minutes saw the home side with almost total possession – but with no real goal attempts.

Ty Lewthwaite got into the home 18 yard box but had no support and the attack fizzled out.He was then called on at the other end to clear a corner.

Loanee, Owen Cochrane got in a great saving tackle to deny Horton’s shot and then Kettering broke away with Dan Jarvis,just in the home half, failing to beat the retreating Ryan Boot with a long shot.

James Berry created an opening for the hosts but hit a cross cum shot across the face of the goal and out for a goal kick.

Dan Jarvis on the left cut in with a promising run, but the shot was well over the bar. The Poppies cleared another two corners as Chesterfield kept up the pressure.

The home side took the lead on 37 minutes. Ollie Banks had been pushed forward and, meeting a cross from the right, he headed in unchallenged.Billy Johnson then made a fantastic save from the same player palming over the ball from a shot just under the crossbar.The keeper then collected a header from a corner on his goal line.

Just before the break,Banks’ low shot his the post and was hurriedly cleared and,for Kettering, Lewis White’s shot was wide.

Half Time:

CHESTERFIELD      1       –       0        KETTERING TOWN

No changes were made by either side at half time.

Chesterfield started as they had finished the first half,with Johnson down sharply to collect a flick by WIll Grigg.

Kettering broke with Jarvis finding Clarke down the right but the cross was wasted.At the other end, Johnson held a Jacobs cross.

The Poppies were a little more positive and direct play won a throw and Sharpe’s missile found Lewthwaite,who fired awkwardly over the bar.

On 57 minutes,Kelvin Langmead made a last ditch tackle to concede a corner,from which Ash Palmer fired wide.Langmead then blocked a cross from Berry.

The Poppies were hit with a double blow in the 60th and 63rd minutes. Banks got behind the defence on the  right to cross low for Grigg to tap in and then Darren Oldaker drifted in from the left to fire in off the far post,just under the bar.It was a great strike.

The Poppies were being denied any sort of useful possession and Naylor fired well over the bar in the next home attack.Cochrane got in a great interception to prevent danger and,at last,Kettering got out of their half to force two fruitless corners.

Horton crossed well from the left but there were no home attackers in the right place,and Johnson saved well from Jacobs.

The fourth goal came on 78 minutes.A cross from the right saw Palmer shoot towards, and it was blocked, but came back to him for a second shot from six yards which he smashed in.

Johnson made another spectacular save to deny substitute,Ryan Colclough,and at the other end, Sharpe’s corner was held by Ryan Boot.

The fifth and final goal on 86 minutes saw Naylor’s shot deflected high into the net past the helpless Johnson.

Full Time:

CHESTERFIELD       5     –     .  0         KETTERING TOWN

Match Officials: Referee:Andrew Miller ; Assistants: Daniel Tracey and Samuel Clayton.Fourth Official:Matthew Tyers.

Attendance: 5156 (Kettering fans 518)

Poppies Media,Elgoods Brewery Man of the Match: Billy Johnson

Match Report by Sadman KTFC

Forthcoming October Home games:

Saturday October 21st: Mickleover Sports at 3pm

Tuesday October 31st: AFC Telford United at 7.45pm

Forthcoming October Away games:

Tuesday October 24th at Leiston at 7.45pm

Saturday October 28th at Berkhamsted at 3pm