Match Report: Alvechurch 1-1 Kettering Town


Alvechurch, who are unbeaten at home in the league this season, were reduced to 10 men after 30 minutes for a harsh red card. Kettering took the lead just three minutes later through man of the match, Luca Miller. The home side were indebted to their own man of the match, goalkeeper Bradley Foster, for some fine saves to keep them in the game. A rare Church second half breakaway saw Jaanai Gordon equalise with a spectacular shot after 71 minutes – and that’s how it finished.


Dan Jarvis returned to the starting eleven replacing Leon Clarke who has chosen to leave the Club.The substitutes bench included young goalkeeper, Caleb Hulley, who has joined on recommendation in view of an injury to Niall Shackleton.


ALVECHURCH:1 Bradley Foster2 Joshua Dugmore3 Ammar Dyer4 Jack Hallahan6 Ethan Patterson7 Ben Cassidy8 Mackenzie Lamb9 Jaanai Gordon10 Jack Concannon (14 Nicholas Clayton-Phillips, 80)17 Yaw Nantwi-Ofosu19 Michael Taylor

Unused Substitutes:11 Richard Batchelor12 Abel Alabi15 Germaine Agustien16 Blake Kindred

Yellow card: Taylor, 52Red card: Lamb, 30

1 Billy Johnson3 Ben Toseland4 Harry Reilly5 Kelvin Langmead9 Tyrone Lewthwaite11 Rhys Sharpe (20 Will Mellors-Blair, 87)12 Dan Jarvis (10 Sam Bennett, 62)14 Gedeon Okito15 Huw Dawson17 Luca Miller18 Tom Scott

Unused Substitutes:2 Kieron Dawes8 Gary Stohrer13 Caleb Hulley (GK)

Yellow Card: Johnson, 82


It was a cold but sunny afternoon at Lye Meadow, known for its slope, and areas of the pitch were slippery after overnight frost.

Both teams had early set pieces into the opposition box which were both cleared away. Kelvin Langmead got in a good block on Ammar Dyer’s shot after a strong run into the penalty area, and from the corner, MacKenzie Lamb headed wide.

Luca Miller fired wide after a Rhys Sharpe long throw and Sharpe then put his 30 yard free kick well over the bar. Miller then lost the ball in midfield and Church’s Jaanai Gordon was sent away and his left foot rocket cannoned off the outside of the left post. Josh Dugmore followed this up with another attempt but it was well wide.

Home keeper, Brad Foster, made the first of a number of good saves on 25 minutes as he pushed Dan Jarvis’ shot just wide for a corner. At the other end, minutes later, Harry Reilly deflected Gordon’s shot away from goal.

The Poppies were playing some good stuff, with neat passing, and keeping the ball and maybe a little frustration from Alvechurch midfielder, Lamb, saw him go in hard on Rhys Sharpe. There was some reaction by the players and Lamb received a red card. Harsh or fair? The match highlights will confirm.

Just three minutes later, Kettering took the lead. A neat one/two between Miller and Tyrone Lewthwaite saw Miller run on and curl a delightful shot past Foster and in at the right post. 0-1 Kettering on 33 minutes.

The Poppies took complete control. Foster somehow kept out Tom Scott’s 20 yarder and Scott and  Jarvis then combined but Scott’s shot went wide.

The final act of the half saw Jarvis’ direct free kick drift wide.

Half Time:


There were no team changes at the break.

Ty Lewthwaite tried an early shot which hit the side netting as Kettering continued their free flowing game. On 54 minutes, Jarvis saw his low left foot shot somehow pushed wide by Foster. At the other end, a sloppy pass gave Gordon a chance, but the shot was blocked.

Sam Bennett replaced Jarvis on 62 minutes and immediately fired a shot over. Then he had the ball in the net but an offside was spotted. Foster was soon in action again saving from Miller.

A rare excursion by Alvechurch into the Kettering half produced a goal on 71 minutes. Dyer got in a good cross from the left and Gordon showed good control and lashed an unstoppable shot past Johnson and high into the net. It was a great strike. 1-1 on 71 minutes.

The Poppies responded and Church were again grateful to Foster for keeping out Miller’s shot and as the ball ran wide the cross came in and the ball was cleared off the line.

The home side promised a bit more after their goal as Kettering tired, but all they could muster was a Jack Hallahan shot which was high and wide.

Kettering had the better of the late chances to win the game as firstly, a clearance found Scott, but the shot was off target. In the final minute, Foster saved a bicycle kick from Ben Toseland, who had also had a good chance with a header from a corner which went wide.

Full Time:


Match Officials: Referee: James Lunn. Assistants: Joseph Rowley and Adrian Hall.

Attendance: 321 (Kettering fans and officials estimated at 100 – great support again – thank you)

Poppies Media & Elgoods Brewery Man of the Match: Luca Miller

Match Report By: Sadman KTFC

Forthcoming Home Games:

Tuesday November 28th: Nuneaton Borough at 7.45pm

Saturday December 2nd: AFC Sudbury at 3pm

Saturday December 9th: Bromsgrove Sporting at 3pm

Saturday December 23rd: Redditch United at 3pm

Monday  January 1st: Stratford Town at 3pm

Forthcoming Away Games:

Saturday December 16th at Halesowen Town at 3pm

Tuesday December 26th at St Ives Town at 3pm