Match Report: Barwell 3-2 Kettering Town


The Poppies crashed to their third successive defeat at Barwell tonight as the home side, including former Poppies, Josh Flanagan and Dan Holman, were three goals to the good by the 61st minute. Tom Cursons opened the scoring on 27 minutes and two goals in five second half minutes from Beck-Ray Enoru and Dan Holman effectively sealed the game just past the hour. Kettering rallied late on with goals in the 79th and 90th minutes from Lewis White and Tyrone Lewthwaite- but there was no time left for the Poppies to draw level.



Owen Cochrane reverted to the substitutes bench and with Sam Bennett injured also both Luca Miller and Charley Barker started.





1    Harry Griffiths

2    Josh Flanagan

3    Courtney Lashley (16 Deen Master,65)

4    George Ward

5    Kyle Rowley

6    MJ Kamara

7    Beck-Ray Enoru

8    Tom Cursons (14 Sid Kerr,86)

9    Dan Holman

10  Brady Hickey (Captain)

11  Micah Edwards


Unused substitutes:

12  Dom Brown-Hill

15  Ruben Freeman

17  Nick Reeves


Yellow Cards: Lashley; Flanagan.



1    Billy Johnson

3    Ben Toseland

4    Harry Reilly (2 Owen Cochrane,58)

5    Kelvin Langmead

6    Lewis White

8    Gary Stohrer (Captain)

9    Tyrone Lewthwaite

11  Rhys Sharpe

15  Huw Dawson

17  Charley Barker (20 Tai Williams,58)

18  Luca Miller (19 James Carvell,65)


Unused Substitutes:

4  Kai O’Keefe

13 Niall Shackleton (G/K)


Yellow Cards: None



The Poppies’ first effort was a gentle shot from Luca Miller which home keeper, Harry Griffiths picked up. Barwell’s Tom Cursons almost got to a cross from the right a couple of minutes later but the chance was lost. The ever lively Beck-Ray Enoru went on a mazy run down the right but his shot was into the side netting.

Barwell kept on the front foot with some Kettering players seemingly still getting used to the 3G surface and Dan Holman saw his shot blocked after a corner. Then a poor pass from Kelvin Langmead put Cursons clear and visiting keeper, Billy Johnson made a great save.

The Poppies finally came into the game forcing three consecutive corners which were well defended. On 19 minutes good technique from Luca Miller saw his left foot shot from 20 or so yards rattle the crossbar and bounce away. Kettering followed this up with a Ty Lewthwaite header which dropped nicely for Griffiths. This was followed up by a Miller cross from the right which found Lewthwaite and his shot was deflected wide for a corner.

From the restart Barwell scored. The ball was cleared out to the left and as Gary Stohrer struggled to control he had his pocket picked by Enoru who worked the ball across goal and Cursons finished low past Johnson.

Kettering countered and Miller tumbled in the penalty area as the Referee waved away strong penalty appeals. The Poppies were then indebted to their keeper, Johnson, as a mistake by Langmead sent Enoru clear and the keeper made a double save.

Before the break, Ty Lewthwaite was set up by Miller and his two shots were both blocked. At the other end Holman set up Enoru who shot across goal. The final determined flurry of Kettering attacks saw two crosses go begging before Lewis White headed wide from a corner, and in the last minute of added time Harry Reilly had two shots – the second off the legs of Griffiths.

Half Time:  

BARWELL FC         1      –     0           KETTERING TOWN

There were no changes at the start of the half and the Poppies started on the front foot with Reilly’s shot blocked. Kettering keeper, Johnson, then made a diving save to keep out Brady Hickey’s accurate shot.

Kettering’s next chance fell to Langmead, as he met a Rhys Sharpe throw into the Barwell penalty area – but the effort was wide. Holman’s 54th minute long shot was wide just before Barwell doubled their lead. Enoru avoided two challenges and rammed his shot past the helpless Johnson.

The goal signalled changes for Kettering with Owen Cochrane and Tai Williams replacing Barker and Reilly. Cochrane’s first involvement saw him in a position to shoot for goal and the ball sailed high over the bar.

The game was effectively up for the Poppies on 61 minutes as Enoru got clear on the left and his low cross was swept in by Holman.

A lot of the last third of the game saw the Poppies on the front foot, with Barwell looking to close out the game. Tai Williams cross on 62 minutes saw Lewthwaite head wide and at the other end Hickey also fired wide.

Luca Miller’s last action on the pitch was to force a save from Griffiths before he was replaced by James Carvell after an impressive shift.

The Poppies were trying and Sharpe’s cross was spilled by Griffiths but there were no Kettering players to take any advantage. Lewthwaite fired wide on 68 minutes and five minutes later his low shot cannoned off the post.

Kettering’s perseverance paid off in the 79th minute as Langmead won a header at a corner and Lewis White shot high into the net. More hope followed as Carvell’s free kick was deflected wide off of a defender and Huw Dawson’s shot was deflected over the bar.

In added time Kettering scored a second as Lewthwaite’s tame header found its was towards Griffiths and with everyone expecting the ball to be picked up and cleared it evaded the keeper and went over the line.

Kettering tried to find an equaliser in the remaining three minutes and all that could be mustered was a blocked shot from Lewthwaite.

Full Time:

BARWELL FC          3      –    2            KETTERING TOWN

Match Officials: Referee: Callum Parke; Assistants: Gary Lord and Phillip Campbell

Attendance: 428 (Kettering fans and Officials estimated at 150)

Poppies Media Elgoods Brewery Man of the Match: Luca Miller


Match Report by Sadman KTFC.


Forthcoming Home games:

Saturday August 19th:Halesowen Town at 3pm

Monday August 28th: St Ives Town at 3pm


Forthcoming Away games:

Saturday August 19th: Redditch United at 3pm

Saturday September 9th: Bromsgrove Sporting at 3pm