Match Report: Leamington 2 – 1 Poppies


It was a game of two halves at Leamington tonight. The Brakes totally dominated the first half going in with a 2-0 lead, courtesy of goals from Callum Stewart and Tyrone Barnett, and it could have been more, as the Poppies rarely threatened. The second period was the reverse as Kettering largely dominated, pulling a goal back through Sam Bennett and having two ‘goals’ disallowed. It was just not enough, however, as the game ended 2-1.


With Lewis White suspended, Luca Purse started in defence. Josh Drain came in on the bench with new signing, Habib Makanjuola, who impressed in a pre season friendly before trying his luck elsewhere. Leon Clarke was also amongst the substitutes after injury. Dan Jarvis remains sidelined with a hamstring
problem and Harry Reilly wasn’t in the squad.


1 Callum Hawkins
2 Dan Meredith
3 Josh Quaynor
4 Joe Clarke (12 Jack Edwards,81)
5 Theo Streete
6 Jack Lane
7 Henry Landers
8 Adam Walker
9 Callum Stewart
10 Tyrone Barnett
11 Ewan Williams

Unused Substitutes:
14 Jiah Medrano
15 Will Shorrock
16 Junior English
17 Zach Taylor

Yellow cards: None


1 Billy Johnson
2 Owen Cochrane
3 Ben Toseland (17 Josh Drain,85)
5 Kelvin Langmead
8 Gary Stohrer (Captain)
9 Tyrone Lewthwaite
10 Sam Bennett
11 Rhys Sharpe
16 Luca Purse
18 Tom Scott
20 Will Mellors-Blair (7 Leon Clarke,73)

Unused Substitutes:
13 Niall Shackleton (G/ K)
14 Habib Makanjuola
15 Huw Dawson

Yellow Cards: Toseland,38; Scott,87; ? 90.


The pitch at the Co-Op Community Stadium was excellent and the floodlights looked in working order….

The Brakes started with a high tempo and the Poppies looked like rabbits trapped in headlights for most of the half.

Attacking right back, Dan Meredith, was soon in action but his cross was too far to find one of his forwards and Henry Landers also crossed dangerously from the same side, and the ball flashed across the six yard box without getting any connection. Two shots, from Adam Walker and Ewan Williams were charged down by the overworked Kettering defence- and the early pressure got what was deserved when Meredith’s low cross from the right was stabbed in at the far post by Stewart.

1-0 Leamington -12 minutes.

It had been all Leamington. The Poppies finally got out of their own half as Ty Lewthwaite drove down the left, but the cross was poor. Visiting keeper, Billy Johnson, then did well to parry Meredith’s driven shot.

The Poppies first effort on goal came after 24 minutes as Will Mellors-Blair tried a speculative 35 yard shot which had keeper, Callum Hawkins scrambling as the ball fell just wide of the left upright. Owen Cochrane then got in a low cross from the right but there was no Kettering player in the six yard box.

Leamington stormed back and Stewart’s left foot shot struck the outside of the left upright. Stewart then tried an overhead kick as the ball was recycled following a free kick, but his effort was blocked.

A rare Kettering break saw Lewthwaite tee up a left foot shot which was well wide. The same player then headed on a Gary Stohrer cross but Hawkins had an easy pick up.

The Poppies then conceded a second goal on 40 minutes. A free kick from Landers found the unmarked Tyrone Barnett who directed a neat header past Johnson.

2-0 Leamington, 40 minutes

This signalled five minutes of further pressure on the overworked Kettering defence.

Landers fired wide; an off balance Barnett shot high and wide; Johnson pushed a Meredith shot wide for a corner, from the which the ball ended up in the net only to be ruled out for a foul.

Finally in the third minute of added time the Poppies threatened from a trade mark Rhys Sharpe throw and Tyrone Lewthwaite’s header was cleared off the line.

Half Time:


There were no player changes at the break.

This time it was the Poppies who took the initiative. Sam Bennett had had a very quiet first half but his early 25 yard shot was well saved, and well held, by Hawkins.

Kettering then had the ball in the net as Lewthwaite converted a Stohrer cross but the tall striker was ruled offside.

The Poppies scored on 58 minutes. Cochrane’s through ball was not cut out leaving Sam Bennett to run on and slide past Hawkins.

2-1, 58 minutes.

Kettering continued to have the greater share of possession and territory and the Brakes’ first attempt at goal in the half did not come until the 64th minute. as Josh Quaynor fired well over the bar.

Another Kettering thrust saw Stohrer send Bennett down the right and the cross was hastily cleared for a corner.

A now rare home attack saw Barnett’s left foot shot cannon off the bar with Kettering responding as Lewthwaite got a header in from Sharpe’s cross but Hawkins saved.

With Kettering bringing on Leon Clarke for Mellors-Blair and young Josh Drain for Ben Toseland it was all out attack in the final stages and the ball was in the net as Bennett headed in Cochrane’s cross – but the Assistant ruled that the ball was out of play before the cross.

A valliant effort by Kettering, but the poor first half display was to blame for the defeat.

Full Time:


Match Officials: Referee: Lewis Smith Assistants: Matthew Joyce and Thon as Johnson

Attendance: 328 (Kettering fans and officials estimated at 50)

Poppies Media, Elgoods Brewery Man of the Match: Owen Cochrane

Match Report by Sadman KTFC

Forthcoming Home Games:

Tuesday November 14th: Corby Town at 7.45pm (Hillier Senior Cup)

Tuesday November 21st: Mickleover Sports at 7.45pm

Forthcoming Away Games:

Saturday November 11th: Coalville at 3pm

Saturday November 25th Alvechurch at 3pm.