Match Report: Long Eaton United 2 – 2 Poppies


A very much off colour Kettering side today scraped a draw at Long Eaton with, again, a last ditch equaliser. They took an early lead, somewhat against the run of play through leading scorer Tyrone Lewthwaite, only for the Blues to score twice in the second half through  Ryley Reynolds and James Spruce. The Kettering equaliser from Kelvin Langmead came in the 6th minute of added time. Kettering’s O’Shane Stewart and Long Eaton’s Ryley Reynolds were both red carded in the 8th minute of added time – both for incurring two cautions each.



The starting line up was as last week, with Dan Jarvis coming onto the substitutes bench along with new signing, Tom Scott.





1    Benjamin Whiting

2    Harvey Ridgley

3    Ryan Campbell Gordon

4    Morgan Worsfield-Gregg

5    Riece Bertram

6    Nathan Whitehead

7    Joseph Nyahwema (14 Zayn Hakeem, 52)

8    George Atwal

9    Nathan Tyson

10  Ryley Reynolds

11  Micah Jebbison (17 James Spruce, 70)


Unused substitutes:

12  Kieran Walker

15  Jack Rogers


Yellow Cards: Reynolds,85 and 90+8 = Red Card 90+8



1    Josh Blunkell

2    Owen Cochrane

3    Ben Toseland (18 Tom Scott,72)

4    Harry Reilly (12 Dan Jarvis,64)  

5    Kelvin Langmead

6    Lewis White

9    Tyron Lewthwaite 

10  Josiah Bridgeman (7 Sam Bennett,58)

11  Rhys Sharpe (Captain)

15  Huw Dawson  

17  O’Shane Stewart


Unused Substitutes: 

16  Luca Purse 

20 Will Mellors Blair


Yellow Cards: White,87; Stewart,80 and 90+8 = Red Card 90+8



It was a pleasant day at Grange Park and the pitch was in good condition.

Early home pressure saw the Blues first attempt at goal from George Atwal sail high over the bar. Another Long Eaton attack saw a cross from the left drift past the far post. The Poppies were struggling to get into the game, but a probing through ball from O’Shane Stewart just eluded Josiah Bridgeman, who would have been in on goal. Home right back, Harvey Ridgley, then raced down the right and saw his cross land on top of the net.

The Poppies scored with their first real appearance in the Long Eaton penalty area on 11 minutes. Harry Reilly’s corner from the left was headed across goal by Kelvin Langmead and the unmarked Ty Lewthwaite nodded in at the left upright.

Kettering followed this with a 14th minute free kick from Rhys Sharpe, which cannoned off the defensive wall. Long Eaton thought they’d equalised in the 16th minute as the ball was headed in – but the Assistant’s flag had already been raised for an offside.

Increasingly Long Eaton gained control of the midfield and the game, playing neat flowing football and Kettering had little answer. Joseph Nyahwema saw his cross held by visiting keeper, Josh Blunkell. Then Ryley Reynolds fired into the side netting.

Kettering got forward to win a corner, to no avail and Lewthwaite got a shot in which was blocked out. On the half hour Kettering had a glorious chance, on the break, to double the lead. Some magic by Stewart saw him go through three tackles and lay on a great chance for Rhys Sharpe just 15 yards out on the left. With a clear chance the left wing back shot over the bar. Another fast break on the left saw Owen Cochrane over-hit his cross.

The Blues were very sharp in the middle of the park and creating problems. Atwal hit a free kick high and wide and a mishit shot from Nyahwema was taken by Blundell. For Kettering, Cochrane had a run down the right and, this time, his low cross was spilled by Benjamin Whiting who was grateful to his defenders for clearing.

Reynolds had another run at the away defence and put his shot wide ,but he was on target a couple of minutes later as his shot beat Blunkell and was cleared off the line by Lewis White.

The final action of the half saw Lewthwaite pounce on a loose ball on the left, run along the goal line and he saw his low cross cleared.

Half Time:  

LONG EATON UNITED     0       –    1           KETTERING TOWN


There were no changes at half time.

Long Eaton continued their approach of fast breaks and just minutes into the half caught Kettering cold as Nathan Tyson sped past Kelvin Langmead and looked to fire past Blunkell. Langmead, however, pulled off a great tackle and prevented the shot at the expense of a corner. What a tackle it was.

Blunkell made a routine tip over the bar from a Nathan Whitehead overhead kick and, at the other end, Huw Dawson’s persistence set up Harry Reilly, whose shot came off Whiting’s legs.

Another home corner saw another Whitehead overhead kick, which this time cleared the bar comfortably.

The Blues persistence to attack with pace finally paid dividends on 56 minutes. Reynolds was fed down the middle and he coolly rounded Blunkell to equalize.

Long Eaton were rampant and further attacks saw shots blocked and Tyson heaving a ball high over the bar. On 63 minutes Micah Jebbison had a clear shooting chance but fired straight at Blunkell.

A now rare Kettering attack saw Lewthwaite’s cross cleared. By this time, Sam Bennett and Dan Jarvis had replaced Bridgeman and Reilly in an effort to stem the tide. Bennett soon got a shot in but was harshly penalised for handball as the ball bounced off his body onto his hand.

On 68 minutes Long Eaton had the ball in the net again but before the cross into the six yard box the ball had gone out of play. It was a let off for Kettering.

The Blues had brought on both Zayn Zakeem and James Spruce and Spruce immediately forced a diving save out of Blunkell. And on 76 minutes the two substitutes combined for Spruce to sweep in Hakeem’s low cross from the left to put the home side into the lead.

The Poppies had to have a go now and Tom Scott replaced Ben Toseland to promote a more attacking formation. Cochrane’s 77th minute cross was cleared away and after a quick free kick, Lewthwaite saw his shot saved.

By and large, Long Eaton dealt well with the Kettering attacks and the Poppies were struggling to test Whiting. Tom Scott fired high over and Sharpe was taking every opportunity to launch his long throws into the six yard box.

The Poppies forced corners and free kicks and successive melees in the home six yard box saw hurried clearances. In the sixth minute of added time Kettering equalised. Another missile into the six yard box from Sharpe dropped kindly for Langmead to sweep the ball in. It was joy for Kettering but harsh for Long Eaton.

Just before the final whistle some handbags from Kettering’s Stewart and home player Reynolds saw Stewart immediately given a second caution and sent off. Reynolds was also yellow carded and remained on the pitch until the Referee realized that was a second yellow and he departed down the tunnel as well.

No further alarms for either team saw the game end 2-2.


Full Time:

LONG EATON UNITED     2       –     2          KETTERING TOWN


Match Officials: Referee: Aaron Hallam; Assistants: Philip Carey and Daniel Friar

Attendance: 489 (Kettering fans and Officials estimated at 200)

Poppies Media Elgoods Brewery Man of the Match: Lewis White

Match Report by Sadman KTFC. 


Forthcoming Home games:

Tuesday September 26th: Hitchin Town at 7.45pm

AFC Telford United to be re-arranged.

Saturday October 21st: Mickleover Sports at 7.45pm


Forthcoming Away games:

Saturday September 30th: Hitchin Town at 3pm (Emirates F A Cup Third Qualifying round AT 3pm

Saturday October 14th: Leamington at 3pm

Tuesday October 24th: Leiston at 7.45pm

Saturday October 28th: Berkhamsted at 3pm

The 3rd Qualifying Round of the Isuzu F A Trophy is on Saturday October 7th (to be drawn on Monday September 25th)