Match Report - Farsley Celtic

Half Time:

Kettering Town FC: 0


Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Farsley Celtic: 1


David Syers 00

Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Full Time:

Kettering Town FC: 2


Marcus Kelly 45
Brett Solkhon 45

Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Farsley Celtic: 3


Will Hayhurst 45
Chris Atkinson 45

Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Match Report


The battle of last season’s champions of the Northern and Southern Premier Leagues saw the North triumph, as Farsley Celtic gained their third home league win of the season with a 3-2 victory over a Kettering team now with no wins in 9 games. After missing a 7thminute penalty, Celtic took a 17thminute lead through David Syers, and made it 2-0 in the second half with a goal from Thomas Allan on 63 minutes. Substitute Marcus Kelly pulled a goal back in the 72ndminute only to see Celtic restore their two goal lead just five minutes later through substitute, Will Hayhurst. Brett Soklhon gave the Poppies hope a minute later to make it 3-2 – and that’s how it stayed


Javan Vidal, Brett Solkhon and Connor Kennedy started replacing Joel Carta (on holiday), Sam Cartwright and Marcus Kelly who were both on the bench. There was no sign of Aaron O’Connor and Michael Richens,  and Alex Nimely was out injured. Only four substitutes were able to be named.

Team line-ups:


1  Kyle Trennery

2  Jordan Richards

3  Thomas Allan

4  Tyler Walton

5  Danny Ellis (Captain)

6  Adam Clayton

7  Ben Atkinson

8  Chris Atkinson

9  James Spencer

10 Luke Parkin (12 Nathan Cartman,82)

11 David Syers (14 Will Hayhurst,46)

Unused Substitutes:

13 Elliot Wynne

15 Isaac Baldwin

16 Mark Bett

Yellow Card: Trennery,42


1   Paul White

2   Javan Vidal (14 Sam Cartwright,77)

3  James Brighton (16 Marcus Kelly,67)

4  Joe Skarz (Captain)

5  Michael McGrath (15 Elliott Hodge,67)

6  Brett Solkhon

7  Lindon Meikle

8  Connor Kennedy

9  Dan Nti

10 Ben Milnes

11 Gary Stohrer

Unused Substitute:

12 Luke Graham

Yellow Card: Skarz,46


The home side started the game on the front foot, forcing Kettering back from the outset. A 2ndminute home corner was partly cleared and Ben Atkinson fired well over from 20 yards. The next meaningful Celtic attack saw Kettering concede a penalty. A free kick was not cleared and was worked back down Kettering’s right. As Thomas Allan ran in on goal he went down under a challenge from Brett Solkhon. Ben Atkinson’s penalty however went the wrong side of the left upright.

An 8thminute corner from the left saw skipper Danny Ellis get a firm header but it was straight at Kettering keeper, Paul White. Kettering’s first foray into the home half on 11 minutes saw a corner easily cleared. The second Kettering attack on 15 minutes almost saw a goal. A Kettering corner was cleared and eventually worked back to Ben Milnes in a central position, His low shot from around 20 yards hit the left upright with home keeper Kyle Trennery beaten.

Farsley took the lead on 17 minutes. Tyler Walton had time on the right to deliver a great cross which was met close in by a firm header by the unmarked David Syers, giving White no chance to save.

White was in action a few minutes later as he took another cross from the right from Jordan Richards and then made a routine save from Luke Parkin.

Kettering did get forward on 28 minutes as Gary Stohrer set up Lindon Meikle- but the shot was just over the bar. The Poppies, who had started with a three man central defence of Solkhon, Joe Skarz and Michael McGrath and wing backs of Javan Vidal and James Brighton switch to a four man defence at this stage. McGrath moved into midfield.

Syers was given a golden chance to extend his team’s lead on the half hour, as Vidal lost possession badly but the home striker’s effort was poor, allowing White to save easily. A few minutes later Ben Milnes set Dan Nti through on the right but the shot was well blocked. White came in for some rough treatment collecting crosses as home players piled into him on three occasions in five minutes.

There followed a lively and somewhat controversial last five minutes of the half.

On 41 minutes a superb ball through saw Meikle some 23 yards out past all defenders. As Trennery came out of his area Meikle lobbed the keeper, who poleaxed the Kettering player to the ground. The shot looked a goal but bounced high and just cleared the bar. After some deliberation by the Referee, the home custodian was yellow carded.

The resultant Nti free kick hit the defensive wall and went for a corner as Kettering players appealed for a handball. There was a further fruitless shout for another handball (and penalty) as Milnes crossed the ball into the home penalty area just before the break.

Half Time:

FARSLEY CELTIC      1       -      0       KETTERING TOWN

The half started badly for Kettering as Skarz allowed James Spencer to get around him on the left touchline, and the Kettering skipper was cautioned as he pulled back the striker.

The Poppies made some progress and Connor Kennedy gave Milnes a shooting chance but he scuffed his shot straight to Trennery. On 52 minutes Solkhon’s shot was blocked by a defender’s body with again appeals for a handball-this time with less credibility. Kennedy then had the ball in the net, but an offside had been given.

Celtic doubled their lead after 63 minutes after seeming to be happy to sit on their lead. Another deep cross from the right by Walton, deliberately aimed for giant left back Allan at the back post was missed by White and Allan headed in, despite the efforts of a Kettering defender to clear away.

Kettering tried to respond and Milnes’ 65thminute free kick was well defended at the near post by Ellis. Two minutes later, Meikle was sent clear down the right, but his early cross was fluffed and straight to Trennery. Milnes followed up with a 69thminute shot which was saved by Trennery. Another now rare home attack saw Spencer almost score as he lobbed the advancing White, but the effort went into the side netting.

Kettering made a double substitution with a quarter of the game to go as Marcus Kelly and Elliott Hodge replacing McGrath and Brighton. Within five minutes Kelly had scored. His 72ndminute left foot free kick from the right, about 22 yards out, flew in at the top left hand corner. Almost immediately Farsley had the ball in the net at the other end, but an offside flag intervened.

The Poppies conceded a third goal on 77 minutes after some appalling all round defending allowed Luke Parkin a clear shot from the left. White got something on the shot but home substitute, Will Hayhurst was there to prod the ball in.

Kettering responded immediately. The ball was worked down the right for Hodge to feed in. Connor Kennedy collected the ball and crossed for Solkhon to head in. Kettering tried to go for an equaliser. However breakaways by Farsley saw Ben Atkinson just fail to convert Spencer’s low cross and then Allan head against the bar from a free kick.

Kettering’s final attack saw a great chance to equalise. Meikle’s cross from the right saw Nti unmarked a few yards out - but the header was straight at Trennery.

Kettering next face Alfreton Town at home next Saturday for a 3pm kick off.

Full Time:

FARSLEY CELTIC      3     -      2       KETTERING TOWN

Attendance: 525 (Poppies fans estimated at 75)

Poppies man of the Match: Brett Solkhon

Match Report by Sadman KTFC

Team Sheet

Location: Away (Farsley)
Kick Off: 07th Sep 2019
Kettering Town FC
Red / Black
0 Brett Solkhon
0 Marcus Kelly
Farsley Celtic

0 David Syers
0 Will Hayhurst
0 Chris Atkinson