Match Report - ALFRETON TOWN

Half Time:

Kettering Town FC: 1


Ryan Fryatt 00

Yellow Cards

Red Cards




Jake Day 00

Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Full Time:

Kettering Town FC: 3


Callum Powell 45
Callum Powell 45

Yellow Cards

Red Cards




Dan Bradley 45
Elliott Reeve 45

Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Match Report


In another very competitive game, the Poppies fell behind three times in this game but managed to salvage a draw by responding each time. The goals came for Alfreton in the 6th, 46th and 80th minutes through Jake Day, Dan Bradley and man of the match Elliott Reeves. Kettering’s scorers in the 35th,52nd and 83rd minutes were Ryan Fryatt, and a brace from Callum Powell - the second from the penalty spot. The Referee had a busy afternoon issuing nine cautions within the first 65 minutes. 


Ryan Fryatt returned in place of Connor Johnson who was not in the 16 and Callum Powell returned, relegating Ben Stephens to the bench. 

The teams lined up:


1   George Willis

2   Josh Clackstone

3   Nathan Fox

4   Conor Branson

5   Toby Rees

6   Adam Lund

7   Dominic Smith

8   Danny Clarke

9   Jake Day

10 Dan Bradley (Captain)

11 Elliot Reeves

Unused substitutes:

12 Will Atkinson

14 Luke Rawson

15 Shaun Tuton

16 Rio Molyneux

17 Teddy Unwin-Marris

Yellow Cards: Day,23; Lees,30; Clarke,60; Branson,65



1   Adam Collin

2   Gary Stohrer

3   Jevan Anderson 

4   Ben Milnes 

5   Ryan Fryatt 

6   Michael McGrath (Captain) 

7   Callum Powell 

8   Connor Kennedy

24 Kyle Perry 

10 Michael Richens (16 Jay Williams,74)

11 Decarrey Sheriff (12 Ben Stephens,79)  


Unused Substitutes:

14 Sam Jones

15 Ashanti Pryce

17 Ethan Johnston

Yellow cards: Richens,4; Perry,33; Anderson,41; McGrath,54; Kennedy,65



There was early danger for Kettering as a 2nd minute corner on the right found its way to the back post and Kettering keeper, Adam Collin was quickly off his line to smother the shot.

Alfreton had begun well, no doubt after Manager Billy Heath’s words that they had not started well at Boston in the previous match. They looked lively and in the 4th minute Kettering’s Michael Richens was yellow carded for a high boot as the home player went down.

Alfreton’s early promise was rewarded by the first goal on 6 minutes. Elliott Reeves got down to the goal line on the right and his low cross to the back post found Jake Day, who turned to fire a low left foot shot past Collin from a few yards out.

Kettering responded with a Jevan Anderson header over the bar from a corner and two more Connor Kennedy long throws into the 6-yard box, with the second being cleared as far as Richens – but his shot was over the bar. Callum Powell’s first meaningful contribution saw his angled cross sail just too high for Ben Milnes to get in the header.

Powell then had the ball in the net with a great shot – only for the effort to be ruled out due to an offside from the first phase of the attack. Within a minute the ball was in the net at the other end as Day beat Collin in an aerial challenge, with the striker being yellow carded for a deliberate handball.

Powell was in the action again a couple of minutes later as his low cross from the right eluded everyone. The next attack saw Ryan Fryatt gather a free kick and his close-range shot was blocked by home keeper, George Willis at point blank range.

The Referee continued to interest his Assessor seated in the stand, with two more cautions for Toby Lees and Kyle Perry in quick succession. Connor Kennedy was then lifted off his feet by ex Poppy, Nathan Fox, which prompted a reaction but no caution for either player.

From the resultant free kick Kettering equalised. The ball was partly cleared to Ben Milnes and his right foot drive was guided into goal by Ryan Fryatt, going in just inside the left upright.

Alfreton attacked immediately from the restart and Reeves’ driven cross gave a great chance only for the home player to miskick. Jevan Anderson was having a torrid time against the lively Reeves and was cautioned on 41 minutes.

The home side were also proficient in employing long throws into the penalty area and on 43 minutes one such missile was headed just over the bar. Kettering had the last goal attempt of the half as Decarrey Sheriff’s left foot cross from the right hit the bar and was cleared.

Half Time:

ALFRETON TOWN        1   -   1         KETTERING TOWN

Alfreton repeated their fast start again as they re-took the lead in the first minute of the second half. Reeves did well again getting past Anderson and his low cross was converted at the back post by skipper, Dan Bradley.

Six minutes later a good move for the Poppies saw them equalise for the second time. Sheriff crossed low from the left and Powell converted with a left foot shot in off the right post.

The game became very tight with a massive amount of the play in midfield and any quality there was in the game evaporated. By the 65th minute the Referee had amassed nine cautions and the Assessor had probably run out of ink at this stage.

Goalmouth action was at a premium, with Connor Kennedy driving forward at every opportunity as was Elliott Reeves for Alfreton. The home side had a great chance on 69 minutes as a long throw was cleared as far as Bradley and the shot was firm and well struck- but just wide.

Home stopper, Willis made a poor punch out from a Kennedy long throw which caused concern for Alfreton, but the Referee saw an infringement and Kettering’s opportunity was lost. For a while the game consisted of a competition in long throws into the six-yard boxes, and defences dominated.

Out of the blue, Alfreton went in front again. That man Reeves won the ball in a challenge on the bewildered Anderson, cut inside onto his left foot and sent a firm drive under Collin, who got something on the shot- but not enough to keep it out.

Within four minutes the Poppies equalised. Powell had switched over to the left side. He raced into the penalty area past one challenge but was up-ended by the second one to win a penalty. With regular penalty taker Sheriff already having been substituted, Powell (below) confidently sent Willis the wrong way to level the scores.


In the last few minutes, Reeves for Alfreton fired over after intercepting a clearance and Powell created a great shooting chance, but his right foot shot from 18 yards was just wide of the left post. Kennedy’s last two long throws were cleared as Kettering finished the stronger.

Full Time:

ALFRETON TOWN         3     -    3       KETTERING TOWN   

Attendance: 0

Referee: Ben Wyatt; Assistants: Harry Jones and Stuart Richardson

Poppies Man of the Match: Connor Kennedy- always in the action.

We now have two more away fixtures at Brackley next Saturday, 2nd January (3pm) and at Boston on Tuesday 5th January (7.45pm) before the next home game on Saturday 9th January at 3pm against Gateshead.

Match report posted by Sadman KTFC.


Team Sheet

Location: Away (AWAY)
Kick Off: 28th Dec 2020
Kettering Town FC
0 Ryan Fryatt
0 Callum Powell
0 Callum Powell
Red / RED
0 Jake Day
0 Dan Bradley
0 Elliott Reeve