Match Report - GUISELEY

Half Time:

Kettering Town FC: 0


Yellow Cards

Red Cards




Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Full Time:

Kettering Town FC: 2


Decarrey Sheriff 45
Callum Powell 45

Yellow Cards

Red Cards




Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Match Report


The Poppies continued their good form today with a hard earned 2-0 win at Guiseley. After a somewhat turgid first half when the teams cancelled each other out, second half goals from Decarrey Sheriff (above) and Callum Powell sealed the three points as Kettering dominated the half.


With Isaac Stones now injured, he joined Rhys Davies, Gary Stohrer, Chris Smith, and Rhys Sharpe on the unavailable list. Decarrey Sheriff made his first full start of the season and Tom Unwin and Jordan Crawford came in on the bench.

The teams lined up:


1  Jordan Amissah

2  Jake Hull

3  Brad Nicholson

4  Prince Ekpolo (16 Kaine Felix,72)

5  Hamza Bencherif ( Captain)

6  Lebrun Mbeka

7  Lewis Hey (15 Andrew Hollins,46)

8  George Cantrill

9  Jacob Gratton

10 Jordan Thewlis

11 Regan Hutchinson (17 Andrew Haw,81)

Unused substitutes:

12  Oliver Brown

14  Bailey Thompson

Yellow Card: Mbeka,42 


1  Jackson Smith

2  Connor Barrett 

3  Ricardo Calder

4  Luke Ward

5  Connor Johnson

6  Max Dyche

7  Callum Powell

8  Connor Kennedy (Captain)

9  Decarrey Sheriff 

10 Lamine Sherif

11 Harrison Neal

Unused Substitutes:

12 Jordan Crawford

14 Laurie Diakiesse

15 Tom Unwin

16 Claudio Ofosu

24 Kyle Perry  

Yellow cards:

Ward,16; Neal,89, Barrett,90+2


It was a pleasant day and the pitch was in excellent condition.

The incidence of long throws into the penalty area was going to be great as both sides employed this tactic, with the first from Guiseley in the first minute, which, along with all the others in this game, would produce no goals.

Kettering’s first foray forward saw Connor Barrett feed Decarrey Sheriff and his low cross was cleared away. Two early Guiseley free kicks into the Kettering penalty area were well defended.

Kettering’s first corner after seven minutes was also cleared away as the game began to settle. Guiseley’s next long missile into the visitor’s six yard box caused some distress for Kettering, but a foul on Lamine Sheriff eased the pressure.

The Poppies first serious threat on goal came half way through the period as Harrison Neal’s clever lob into the six yard box saw Connor Johnson get to the ball just before home keeper, Jordan Amissah, and somehow the ball ended just wide of the target and was hacked clear.

Lamine Sherif had a half chance as a Connor Kennedy long throw was partly cleared- but the shot was well wide. On 29 minutes Guiseley had their best chance of the game to date as Brad Nicholson met a corner- but his header hit the top of the bar and went over for a goal kick.

Guiseley had a little spell with Lebrun Mbeka heading on a free kick just too far in front of his forwards and then a break by Jacob Gratton on the left saw a great saving clearance from Kettering’s Max Dyche. Next, Jordan Thewlis sent a low cross into the danger area, but there were no home takers.

The Poppies gathered themselves and Ricardo Calder’s cross was met by Dyche and his left foot curling shot was just a little high and wild. Finally in the half, the otherwise quiet Callum Powell went down inside the penalty area, but the Referee, who had already let a lot go for both teams- judged no penalty.

Half Time:

GUISELEY      0       -     0       KETTERING TOWN

Guiseley made a half time substitution and with a back five with a height average of well over six feet brought on Andrew Hollins who was taller that everyone on the pitch.

The home defence was soon called into action as Decarrey Sheriff broke, but the danger was snuffed out. Kettering gave away a couple of free kicks in dangerous positions but the defending was solid. Kettering won a 49th minute corner and in a scramble Max Dyche’s shot was fumbled by Amissah, falling to Kennedy whose shot was scrambled away. Kettering were slowly beginning to take control now with solid defending and the midfield engine room running to maximum efficiency.

Kennedy’s 50th minute shot was wide as Kettering came forward and they were rewarded with a goal two minutes later. There seemed little immediate threat as the impressive Decarrey Sheriff received the ball at the edge of the penalty area on the left hand side. The goal was simple, however, as he stepped inside the defender onto his right foot and passed the ball into the net, inside the right post.

Guiseley had to get forward now and a 55th minute free kick from Nicholson looked destined for Hollins’ head at the far post, but he misjudged the flight as the ball sailed over his head in what looked like a great chance. 

There was then a chance for Guiseley’s Regan Hutchinson on the hour but the shot came off the outside of his right boot and curled well wide from a good position. Hollins had a header easily collected by Jackson Smith and at the other end Sheriff won another corner which was cleared.

It was nearly 2-0 on 70 minutes. Sheriff pounced on a poor back pass and got to the ball just before Amissah. His left foot lob was well guided over the keeper, but the ball glanced off the inside of the right post running along the six-yard box. Powell raced in to fire the rebound goal wards and only a great, last ditch saving tackle kept the ball out.

The Lions of Guiseley countered and Smith did very well to palm away a corner as Hollins looked to have a free header at goal. Kettering broke and Calder, who looked good going forward all game, found Powell who again went down in the penalty area under a tackle – but penalty appeals were again waived away.

Powell and Kennedy combined for Kettering on 76 minutes but Kennedy’s cross was too high. Kennedy then won a corner which saw Neal’s restart headed over by Connor Johnson. Next, a Powell low cross from the left was just about held by Amissah.

Kettering made the game safe on 86 minutes. A long deep pass forward from the half way line on the right found Powell in the penalty area, and his control gave him the option of a simple finish, poking the ball past Amissah for a classy finish.

The Poppies managed the final minutes well and a Sheriff low cross from the left slid across goal with Guiseley unable to create any further chances on goal.

Full Time:

GUISELEY      0       -     2        KETTERING TOWN   

Attendance: 643 (away fans estimated at 80)

Referee: Dale Baines; Assistants: Neil Evans and  Matthew Archibald

Poppies Media Man of the Match: Decarrey Sheriff

Next HOME game :

Saturday September 25th against Spennymoor Town at 3pm

Other upcoming games: 

Saturday September 18th : away at Spalding -F A Cup 2nd Qualifying round (Any replay will be at Latimer Park on Tuesday,21st September at 7.45pm)

Saturday September 25th HOME to Spennymoor Town at 3pm

Saturday October 2nd : TBA

Saturday October 9th: HOME to Chester City at 3pm

Saturday October 16th away at Chorley

Match report posted by Sadman KTFC.

Team Sheet

Location: Away (AWAY)
Kick Off: 11th Sep 2021
Kettering Town FC
0 Decarrey Sheriff
0 Callum Powell