Match Report - BUXTON

Half Time:

Kettering Town FC: 1


Andrew Oluwabori 00

Yellow Cards

Red Cards




Gilchrist 00
Tasdemir 00

Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Full Time:

Kettering Town FC: 2


Andrew Oluwabori 45

Yellow Cards

Red Cards




Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Match Report

On the overall balance of play and goal chances Kettering could have won this game. They were a goal up in just nine minutes through Andrew Oluwabori before conceding two goals in just five minutes to give the hosts a half time lead. The second half belonged almost entirely to the Poppies and only some fine saves from home keeper and their man of the match, Theo Richardson, kept Kettering at bay. In the end, a last minute goal, again from Oluwabori, (Above) earned a point. Along with a string of Richardson saves, the Poppies hit the woodwork twice in the second period.


The only change saw Andrew Oluwabori starting in place of Ethan Hill, who was on the bench. 

The teams lined up:


1    Theo Richardson

2    Levi Andoh

4    Jake Moult

8    Connor Kirby

9     Diego De Girolamo

11   Warren Clarke

12   Declan Poole

14   Jason Gilchrist (29 Matthew Sargent,73)

16   Shaun Brisley

18   Sean Newton

20   Serhat Tasdemir (6 Lindon Meikle,62)

Unused substitutes:

13   Mathew Hudson

15   Oliver Greaves

Yellow Card: Kirby,84



21   Cameron Gregory

2    Ben Sault (10 Keaton Ward,54)

3    Harry Reilly 

4    Lewis White

6    Brad Gascoigne

7    Andrew Oluwabori

8    Gary Stohrer (Captain)

9    Jordan Graham (16 Andre Wright,68)

11  Rhys Sharpe

12  George Cooper

15  Sam Bennett (17 Decarrey Sheriff,60)

Unused Substitutes:

5    Ben Toseland

14  Ethan Hill

Yellow card: Gascoigne,11


The game started in cloudy conditions with the 3G pitch being watered just before kick off.

It was a slow start as the teams tried to work each other out, and the first goalmouth action came after fully six minutes as Buxton’s Declan Poole put his left foot shot wide after drifting in from the right.

The game however came to life three minutes later as Kettering took the lead from their first incisive attack. Buxton’s defence failed to clear as Andrew Oluwabori pounced on the loose ball, controlled it and fired a right foot shot high past Theo Richardson from around 15 yards. 0-1 on 9 minutes

It was evident though, from an early stage, that the Bucks left sided attacker, Warren Clarke was going to cause Lewis White ( playing at right back today) some trouble with his pace. The home side took every opportunity to feed Clarke and on 15 minutes he sped past two tackles, and squared the ball, which was scrambled away and Connor Kirby poked the loose ball well wide.

Buxton were on the offensive as Poole found a lot of space on the right but his cross was poor and behind the goal. However the policy of getting the ball wide paid off on 17 minutes as the equaliser came. Again the ball was worked to the left, and played across goal for Serhat Tasdemir to shoot low from 20 yards as the ball sped up off the pitch to go under Cameron Gregory’s dive. The keeper, though, will be disappointed that he could not keep it out. 1-1 on 18 minutes

The Poppies tried to respond quickly and Sam Bennett was put clear down the left. His accurate driven shot was very well kept out by Richardson.

Buxton came straight back and again, on their left, Clarke flew past White, put in a low cross and home striker, Jason Gilchrist, was first to the ball to poke home to give the hosts the lead. 2-1 on 22minutes

Kettering responded well and skipper, Gary Stohrer, saw his left foot strike go wide of the right post. Kettering were trying hard, during long periods of possession by Buxton and a Rhys Sharpe long throw into the home six yard box was deflected over the bar by a defender for a fruitless Kettering corner.

On 37 minutes, the Bucks had a great chance to increase their lead. Kettering’s Harry Reilly made a horrible mistake 40 yards out, gifting possession to ace striker, Diego De Girolamo. The forward advance on goal with only Gregory to beat and the keeper made an excellent stop with his legs.

Oluwabori fired a 38th minute shot over after a long throw had been cleared to him, and at the other end, Connor Kirby’s shot was high and wide.

The last action of the half saw Gary Stohrer’s penetrating 30 yard run only stopped by the smothering Richardson.

Half Time:

BUXTON     2        -      1           KETTERING TOWN

The second half was going to be Kettering’s. Skipper, Gary Stohrer lead by example as he fired over after a swift move down the left. Oluwabori then saw his shot saved by Richardson’s legs.

Lewis White made an important block as he closed down De Girolamo and the Poppies threatened again as Stohrer fired over after a great move down the left. Ben Sault was replaced by Keaton Ward after 54 minutes signalling more attacking intentions.

Gregory made a routine saved from a Kirby free kick, but possession was now becoming mainly Kettering’s as a limping Bennett was replaced by Decarrey Sheriff.

Ward made a good impact as Richardson was forced into a sharp save and on 60 minutes, Stohrer saw his shot beat Richardson only to cannon off the post. Ward pounced on the rebound to shoot and somehow Richardson got something on the ball to deflect it over the bar. From the corner, Brad Gascoigne had a heading chance at the back post but his effort went wide.

Andre Wright replaced Jordan Graham on 68 minutes and in the same minute Ward saw his low drive brilliantly saved by Richardson at the expense of a corner. From this restart, George Cooper headed against the crossbar.

Harry Reilly’s 70th minute shot was wild, when a pass may have been better. Cameron Gregory was called into action at the other end but his smart save was somewhat cancelled by an offside flag.

Andre Wright was putting himself about and after a flowing Kettering move, he saw his shot well saved again by Richardson. Time was ebbing away as the Poppies camped in the Buxton half and it looked like the home side were taking the 3 points.

However, in the last minute of normal time the Poppies equalised. Yet another free kick was won on the left. With the tall players all at the back post, Ward’s free kick dropped to Oluwabori who, unmarked, headed in a simple goal with Richardson, for once, unable to save it. 2-2 on 90 mins.

With five minutes of added time, both teams had a chance to win the game. Buxton’s Shaun Brisley latched onto a free kick into the Kettering area only to head straight at Gregory. In the 8th of the 5 minutes added time…! Richardson again saved his team as he dived full length to his left to keep out Ward’s low drive.

Full Time:

BUXTON     2       -      2         KETTERING TOWN

Match Officials: Referee: John Mulligan; Assistants: Emily Carney; David Burton.

Attendance: 685 (Kettering fans estimated at 75)

Poppies ELGOODS BRWEWERY - Media Man of the Match: Gary Stohrer

Forthcoming matches:


Saturday 10th September: Banbury United - kick off 3pm

Saturday 24th September: Kidderminster Harriers - kick off 3pm

Tuesday 27th September: Kings Lynn Town - kick off 7.45pm


Tuesday 13th September at Leamington – kick off 7.45pm

Match report posted by Sadman KTFC.

We join the Emirates F A Cup trail on Saturday 17th September in the 2nd Round Qualifying with the draw expected on Monday 5th September. The game will be advertised on this site as soon as known.

Team Sheet

Location: Away (AWAY)
Kick Off: 03rd Sep 2022
Kettering Town FC
0 Andrew Oluwabori
0 Andrew Oluwabori
0 Gilchrist
0 Tasdemir