Half Time:

Kettering Town FC: 0


Yellow Cards

Red Cards




Lufudu 00

Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Full Time:

Kettering Town FC: 2



Yellow Cards

Red Cards




Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Match Report

Kettering Town v Spennymoor Town

Vanarama National League North

Saturday 15th October 2022   3:00pm


Kettering Town 

Spennymoor Town


 Harrison Foulkes



 Gio Bellagambi



 Ibrahim Bakare



 John Lufudu



 Lewis White             



 Scott Duxbury



 Brad Gascoigne              



 Joe Tait

 Off 84


 George Cooper



 James Curtis (Capt)



 Ben Toseland



 Jordan Thewlis       

 Off 67


 Ethan Hill

 Off 74


 Glen Taylor 



 Gary Stohrer  (Capt)



 Rob Ramshaw



 Ben Sault



 Mark Anderson         



 Keaton Ward



 Finn Cousin-Dawson

 Off 60


 Jordan Graham

 Off 64


 Michael Ledger















 Harry Hogg



 Harry Flatters     



 Tyrone Lewthwaite

  On 64


 Danny Greenfield

 On 60


 Sam Bennett

  On 74


 Jamie Chandler              



 Kemy Agustien



 Charlie Watt

 On 84


 Kornell McDonald



 Tom Allan            

 On 67


Referee: Ben Wyatt   Assistants: Callum Gough and Minesh Gupta

After two heavy defeats on the road at King's Lynn and Scarborough Lee Glover's side looked to get the season back on track with a favourable result against Spennymoor, a team which have been having troubles of their own recently with Jason Ainsley being re-appointed as manager.      The midweek County Cup victory proved expensive as the injury sustained by Decarrey Sheriff caused him to be unavailable for selection to join Rhys Sharpe, Cameron Gregory, and Harry Reilly on the casualty list. With Neo Richard-Noel on loan at AFC Rushden and Diamonds, Andre Wright signing for Stratford and Andrew Oluwabori unlikely to appear in a Poppies shirt again the timely arrival of three new players allowed Lee Glover the luxury of being able to name a fit starting XI. Loanee goalkeeper Harrison Foulkes would make his home debut after a baptism of fire at Scarborough a game in which together with the Daventry encounter showed his ability by producing some acrobatic stops. Ibrahim Bakare and Kemy Agustien both performed well at Daventry.  Today Ibrahim would start at right wing-back and Kemy on the bench. The third new arrival Tyrone Lewthwaite would be among the substitutes. George Cooper and Brad Gascoigne were sufficiently healed to return to the centre of defence but Sam Bennett was not judged fit enough for a starting spot.

Despite a brief shower shortly before kick-off Latimer Park was bathed in bright sunshine with temperatures conducive to good football and a mild breeze blowing from the stand end. With the pitch having little activity in recent weeks and some rain the pitch looked in a good condition but  looks can be deceiving.

Spennymoor in black and white striped shirts and white shorts kicked off attacking the Tin Hat end and sent the ball out for a goal-kick almost immediately from the start. Spennymoor were presented with the first chance of the game after two minutes. Bakare won possession from a long ball down Kettering's right. Receiving a call from Hill to his left Ibrahim fed the ball inside but Ethan on the edge of the penalty area lost the ball leading to a shot from Mark Anderson going just wide. Skipper Gary Stohrer heavily berated Bakare when it was Hill that had caused the problem.

Kettering won the first corner of the game after five minutes but Anderson cleared it with ease. Shortly after full back Lufudu sent a shot over the bar after a cross from the other full back fell to him. Both sides were playing like teams lacking in confidence. 

With twelve minutes played Ben Toseland went down heavily when challenging for a loose ball when he was clattered by a defender who arrived slightly after Ben which resulted with both players stretched out on the pitch. The challenge was more clumsy than malicious but it didn't stop three or four visitors crowding the referee contesting the awarding of the free-kick for the hosts. Both players returned to their feet with no intervention from the physios. The resulting free-kick came to nothing. Spennymoor conceded another two free kicks in their half in quick succession' The second of which came close to breaking the deadlock when Keaton Ward floated a ball deep towards the far post where Cooper darting in unmarked could not stretch enough to make contact. The next minute Ward is involved again as he battles for possession with a defender on the edge of Spennymoor's penalty area. Keaton's determination wins out but his resulting shot passes over the bar.

Spennymoor continued to try and make the most of their height advantage by playing high balls into Kettering's penalty area as after nineteen minutes a ball in from the right by Tait was headed over by Duxbury. Two minutes later another high ball into the box saw Foulkes reach high to collect the ball but under challenge by Taylor is prevented by taking the ball cleanly falling to the floor before quickly gathering the loose ball but no free kick was awarded and play continued.

Just after the half hour mark Taylor fouled Lewis White in the middle of the park.  The resulting free-kick was lifted into the penalty area by Keaton Ward aimed towards Cooper. The Kettering player went down whilst tussling with a defender with the fans behind the goal appealing for a penalty but Mr Wyatt saw nothing untoward and play continued with George stretched out on the deck. With the ball in the hands of Harrison Foulkes the referee stopped the game in order for Cooper to receive treatment.

Five minutes before half-time Joe Tait unleashed a powerful shot from at least 30 yards looking bound for the top corner before Harrison Foulkes flew across his goal to push the ball away with a brilliant save worthy of the shot. The resulting corner was headed clear positively by Brad Gascoigne.

As the two additional minutes to be played were coming to an end Spennymoor worked the ball into Kettering's penalty area. Scott Duxbury with the ball at his feet tripped over and while lying flat out held the ball between his ankles preventing the defence from playing the ball clear. Trying to regain his feet he kicked the ball goalwards and went through the unsighted Foulkes' legs as he pivoted in an attempt to scoop the ball off the goal-line John Lufudu darted in to stab the ball home from twelve inches.  0-1 Spennymoor 45 mins.

Half Time: Kettering Town  0  Spennymoor Town  1


Whatever was said by Lee Glover in the dressing room at half time worked a treat as Kettering were like a different team in the second half attacking from the kick-off and inside a minute Ben Sault probing down Spennymoor's right won a free kick close to the touch line just outside the penalty area. With a crowded penalty area with players jostling for position Keaton Ward hit the ball low and hard into the middle of the goal catching most them off guard. Bellagambi reacted better than most and blocked the ball away with his left boot but it only fell to Stohrer on the edge of the box but Gary's shot cannoned of a defender for a corner. Ward took the set piece and delivered the ball with precision to the far post where Gascoigne had pulled away from his marker and powered a header goalwards beating the keeper and defender on the line. 1-1 Kettering 48 mins.

Kettering kept up the pressure and won two corners in quick succession which came to nothing except an appeal for a penalty for handball after the second but Mr Wyatt saw it differently awarding a free-kick to the defender.

Spennymoor made their first first substitution on the hour mark with Danny Greenfield replacing Finn Cousin-Dawson. Almost immediately after Jordan Graham received the first caution of the game for preventing Spennymoor from taking a quick free-kick. The free kick when it got to be taken by Curtis was poor going straight to a Kettering player who played the ball forward. Curtis trying to make for his mistake could not control the ball and sent it to the feet of Ben Sault who raced forward into the space behind Curtis leaving Kettering 2 v 2 on the break. Unfortunately Ben did not see Keaton Ward unmarked to his left and elected to take on the two defenders himself and his effort was blocked causing the attack to breakdown. The goalkeeper's clearance came straight back though with Graham nodding the ball onto Ward who went past Tait with ease but his shot lacked power and was easy for the keeper to collect.

Kettering made their first change on sixty-four minutes with Jordan Graham being withdrawn to allow Tyrone Lewthwaite to make his debut. Spennymoor made their second change on three  minutes later with top goal scorer Jordan Thewlis being replaced by Tom Allan.

With just over twenty minutes to go Spennymoor won a corner on the stand side and Mark Anderson sent the ball deep to the far post where Joe Tait had a free header but only managed to send his header ballooning over the bar.

With Kettering in the ascendancy Lee Glover made a positive substitution on seventy-four minutes replacing midfielder Ethan Hall with Sam Bennett with a view to snatching a much needed victory.

As the game was entering the final ten minutes a ball was played forward from a defensive clearance down Spennymoor's right. Lewthwaite challenged for the ball and did well to bring it under control and stroke it back into the path of Ward who was coming up in support it plenty of space. Keaton carried on advancing with the ball with the defenders backing off him as the youngster sliced through the middle of the park. With Bennett and Lewthwaite both available for a through ball the defenders seemed more concerned with them than the man in possession. Keaton continued unabated into the penalty area and coolly side-footed the ball into the bottom corner giving the woefully exposed Bellagambi no chance. 2-1 Kettering 80 mins.

Spennymoor responded by making their final change two minutes later swapping defender Joe Tait for Charlie Watt. Kettering had the chance to capitalise on the withdrawal of the tall defender winning two consecutive corners in the last ten minutes but neither come to anything.

With under five minutes to go Ben Toseland picks up Kettering's second yellow as he tries to slow the game down. As time is running out Spennymoor push forward and substitute Watt sees his attempted shot deflect off a defender but it fell to Greenfield but he has to react quickly to the unexpected chance and only manages to screw his shot wide.

In the final minute of normal time Spennymoor came very close to salvaging a point as Tom Allan was left unmarked on the edge of the penalty area and fired a fierce shot into the underside of the bar it bounced down in front of the goal-line the ball was recycled to Mark Anderson but he sees his shot parried away well by Foulkes. Greenfield had a third bite of the cherry but sent his shot over the bar. In the additional three minutes deemed playable by the Referee neither goalkeeper was called into action.

Full Time: Kettering Town 2  Spennymoor Town 1

A well-deserved and very much needed third victory of the season.  The team showed resilience after falling behind in stoppage time at the end of the first half when heads could have dropped but the team came out for the second half with grit and determination and with the equaliser coming so early confidence grew as the game went on. As a previous manager always said its a game of small margins and after a lapse of concentration at the end if Tom Allen's shot had been fractionally lower all the good work could have been undone. Hopefully the team can carry this positivity into the next two away games at Chester and Farsley matches that positive results need to be achieved.

Kettering Town yellow cards:  Graham, Toseland  - unsporting conduct

Spennymoor Town yellow cards:  none            

Attendance: 651

Elgoods Brewery, Kettering Town Man-of-the-Match – Keaton Ward –  Criticized recently by his manager, Keaton produced a performance that the supporters have been waiting for. In the absence of Sharpe, Keaton was the centre of almost every Kettering attack taking responsibility for the majority of set pieces ending with a goal and an assist. Mention must also be made of the brief appearance of Lewthwaite who put pressure on Spennymoor's experienced centre back James Curtis showing no trepidation of the step up in leagues and set Keaton up for the winning goal.


Team Sheet

Location: Home (LATIMER PARK)
Kick Off: 15th Oct 2022
Kettering Town FC
0 Lufudu