Match Report - CHESTER

Half Time:

Kettering Town FC: 0


Yellow Cards

Red Cards




Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Full Time:

Kettering Town FC: 0


Yellow Cards

Red Cards




Willoughby 45
Dudley 45
Dudley 45
Williams 45

Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Match Report


The saying goes that it’s a game of two halves. It certainly was today. A fairly even first half saw Chester have a lot of the ball with no penetration and Kettering looking relatively comfortable. 

The second half however was a complete shambles for the visitors, who shipped in another four goals to lose 4-0. The damage began early in the second period, with yet another goal arising from a corner. The second goal followed ten minutes later as Anthony Dudley scored his second. It was three, again conceded at a corner, after 74 minutes as Matty Williams met the cross with a low volley. The final goal in added time came from a Kurt Willoughby penalty, after Ethan Hill brought down substitute, Iwan Murray.


The Manager was again without Cameron Gregory, Rhys Sharpe and Harry Reilly and Lewis White joined them reporting in sick. Kornell McDonald started.

The teams lined up:


1    Harry Tyrer

3    Lewis Coulton    

4    Declan Weeks (Captain) (14 Danny Devine,80)

9    Kurt Willoughby

10  Anthony Dudley

12  Kevin Roberts (20 Iwan Murray,80)

15  Matty Williams

16  Kieran Coates

18  Joe Lynch

21  Kole Hall (7 Darren Stephenson,70)

49  Liam Edwards

Unused Substitutes:

2   Jamie Morgan

6   Alex Kenyon

Yellow Cards: None



21  Harrison Foulkes

2    Ben Sault  (18 Kemy Agustien,84)

5    Ben Toseland

6    Brad Gascoigne

8    Gary Stohrer (Captain)

9    Jordan Graham (19 Tyrone Lewthwaite,63)

10  Keaton Ward (15 Sam Bennett,63)

12  George Cooper

14  Ethan Hill

16  Ibrahim Bakare

20  Kornell McDonald

Unused Substitutes:

1   Harry Hogg (G/K)

17 Decarrey Sheriff

Yellow card: Hill, 90+2



A pleasant autumn afternoon greeted the team and it was a good grass surface to play on.

Kettering started brightly with Jordan Graham’s shot spilled by home keeper, Harry Tyrer and the keeper reacted well to gather the loose ball. Then a 7th minute burst into the home 18-yard box by Gary Stohrer, saw his shot blocked. The ball rebounded nicely for Ben Sault, who, with a clear chance, screwed his right foot shot wide of the left upright.

Chester were looking to keep possession and play out from the back, but had been slow to start. They burst into life though, on 16 minutes as Lewis Coulton got clear down the left and crossed for Kole Hall to poke the ball over the bar at the near post. A 19th minute home direct free kick was blocked away to Kevin Roberts and his low shot from 20 yards was also well blocked.

Kettering managed a break out of their own half and Graham’s deep cross from the left was just too far for Keaton Ward to get a good connection.

The first half an hour had seen the Poppies deal pretty well with their hosts keep ball game. However, there was panic on 34 minutes as a couple of shots had to be defended and visiting keeper, Harrison Foulkes kept out a Kurt Willoughby shot. The Poppies countered with Ben Sault winning a corner which was easily defended.

Chester’s Joe Lynch, coming in from the left, curled a shot over the bar and two minutes later, in the 40th minute, Kettering’s Ward crossed from the left to the far post - but Graham’s header was poor and wide. At the other end, Kieran Coates had a shooting chance but the shot lacked power and drifted wide.

In added time, Chester caused some panic as George Cooper made a block and the loose ball was hit wide, and Kettering broke and with Graham in a good position, he could just not get his shot away.

Half Time:

CHESTER            0           -          0            KETTERING TOWN

There were no team changes for either side at half time. But soon the first goal came. Ibrahim Bakare did well to block out a forward, but failed to control the ball, which went for a corner. The initial cross from Declan Weeks was cleared back to him and his second cross was headed in by the unmarked Anthony Dudley from close range. Within seconds of the restart, George Cooper had to be alert to block a shot from Weeks as Chester looked for more.

The Poppies did get into the home half on 53 minutes as Sault’s cross from the left landed on top of the net. That was to be the Poppies last attempt at goal in the match.

It was 2-0 on 57 minutes. George Cooper made a great tackle inside his own penalty area, but the ball broke extremely kindly for Dudley who fired in with ease past Foulkes.

Within a minute of the restart there was pandemonium in the Kettering penalty area as a succession of shots were blocked with some desperate defending as Chester looked for more. Foulkes then saved a Dudley shot.

In a rare foray into the Chester half, Sam Bennett, on for Ward won a corner which was easily cleared. Straight away at the other end, Bakare misjudged the flight of the ball but Dudley’s header was straight at Foulkes. On 68 minutes the lively Hall saw his left foot shot just clear the crossbar.

The third goal came from a corner on the right as the cross was met around the penalty spot by Matty Williams, whose low volley went in at the left post. Shortly after Bakare made a great block on a shot by home substitute, Darren Stephenson.

Kettering heads were down. Another home substitute, Iwan Murray, had a shot blocked and from this set piece Williams, again unchallenged, saw his header tipped over by Foulkes.

The scoring was concluded in added time as Murray was brought down by Ethan Hill and the penalty was tucked away by Kurt Willoughby to Foulkes’ right as the keeper nearly got to it.

Full Time:

CHESTER             4             -          0             KETTERING TOWN

Match Officials: Referee -  Richard Aspinall; Assistants: Joe Cunningham; George Eaton

Attendance: 1834 (Kettering fans/officials estimated at 60)

Poppies Media Elgoods Brewery Man of the Match: Gary Stohrer

Forthcoming matches:


Tuesday 25th: Away at Farsley Celtic at 7.45pm

Saturday 29th HOME to Blyth Spartans at 3pm


Tuesday 1st  : HOME to Banbury United at 7.45pm

Saturday 5th : away at Brackley Town at 3pm

Tuesday 8th : HOME to Hereford at 7.45pm

Saturday 12th : away at Chorley at 3pm

Saturday 19th – F A Trophy second round proper

Saturday 26th : HOME to Southport at 3pm 

Match report posted by Sadman KTFC.

Team Sheet

Location: Away (AWAY)
Kick Off: 22nd Oct 2022
Kettering Town FC
0 Willoughby
0 Dudley
0 Dudley
0 Williams