Match Report - CHORLEY

Half Time:

Kettering Town FC: 0


Yellow Cards

Red Cards




Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Full Time:

Kettering Town FC: 0


Yellow Cards

Red Cards




Hall 45
Sampson 45

Yellow Cards

Red Cards


Match Report


A fairly even first half saw the match goalless at half time. The call in the Kettering dressing room at half time would have been to keep it tight first ten minutes of the second half - but if those were the plans they were undone just 6 minutes into the half when Connor Hall gave Chorley the lead. The lead was doubled 12 minutes later by Jack Sampson and that’s the way it ended, as the Poppies registered their sixth successive away league defeat scoring no goals in the process.


There was no Stephan Morley (injured), with Ben Toseland starting and Lewis White came in for George Cooper (injured), who was on the bench. Ben Sault and Harry Reilly remain injured.

The teams lined up:


1    Matt Urwin

3    Harvey Smith

4    Scott Wilson

5    Scott Leather (Captain)

7    Billy Whitehouse (17 Justin Johnson,67)

8    Mike Calveley

9    Jack Sampson (18 Andy Owens,85)

11  Jon Ustabasi

13  Ollie Shenton (10 Willem Tomlinson,67)

16  Adam Blakeman

27  Connor Hall

Unused Substitutes:

6  Joe Nolan

12 Matt Challoner

Yellow Cards: None


1    Harrison Foulkes

4    Lewis White 

5    Ben Toseland (7 Sam Bennett,84)   

6    Brad Gascoigne

8    Gary Stohrer (Captain)

10  Keaton Ward

11  Rhys Sharpe

14  Ethan Hill

15  Ellis Myles

18  Kemy Agustien (17 Decarrey Sheriff,63)

19  Tyrone Lewthwaite

Unused Substitutes:

1  Cameron Gregory 

9  Jordan Graham

12 George Cooper

Yellow cards: None



It was overcast at the Victory Park stadium as the teams observed a minutes silence for Remembrance Day. The pitch looked moist but nicely playable.

The Magpies started quickly with Billy Whitehouse on the right sending a cross just too far. Kettering’s response was a long Rhys Sharpe throw into the penalty area which was met by Brad Gascoigne – but his header was high and wide.

Chorley’s game was to move the ball quickly and at fast pace to test the Kettering back five and they were finding plenty of space in midfield. One flowing move after 15 minutes saw Connor Hall send away the pacy Jon Ustabasi, but the wide man’s shot was blazed over the bar. Kettering keeper Harrison Foulkes was then quickly off his line to smother the ball from Hall, who just lost control at the final moment.

Adam Blakeman’s curling free kick on 22 minutes was straight through to Foulkes and by the half hour neither goalkeeper had been tested.

Keaton Ward, playing as a striker, did try a low 30 yarder, which home custodian, Matt Urwin parried away to his left and then got across to gather. Then Foulkes saved a head high shot from Whitehouse.

Kettering finished the half on the front foot with Ward winning what was to be a fruitless corner. Tyrone Lewthwaite made an incisive run down the left and just lost control at the vital moment with Ethan Hill firing well wide from the resultant corner. Finally, a decent ball into the danger area by Gary Stohrer saw Hill lose control as he shaped to shoot.

Half Time:

CHORLEY       0        -       0               KETTERING TOWN

There were no substitutions at the start of the half.

Kettering immediately won a free kick on the left side some 23 yards out and Ward’s attempt at goal was wide of the left upright. Immediately Chorley countered with a run from Ustabasi but there was no end product.

Ustabasi did, though, play a great part in Chorley’s opening goal after 51 minutes. His cross from the left tempted Foulkes out to catch- but as he misjudged - the ball flew over him and with no other defender challenging for the ball, Hall headed into an empty net.

The Poppies had an immediate great chance to equalise. Not long after the restart, Gary Stohrer sent Keaton Ward clear on the right. With only Urwin to beat the shot was low - but too close to the keeper who made the save. It should have been 1-1.

Chorley were soon on the offensive again as Foulkes had to run out of his area to get to a through ball. He lost control and possession and in the ensuing melee and, fortunately for the young keeper, a forward had strayed offside with only one Kettering defender back.

As Chorley surged forward the Kettering defence visibly wilted with Brad Gascoigne making a great saving block from Ollie Shenton’s shot. Foulkes then took a deflected shot from Adam Blakeman.

It was 2-0 on 63 minutes. An attack down the right saw the ball possibly looking out of play for a goal kick. However, play continued and the low cross fell to Jack Sampson. He turned and shot low as Foulkes got something on the ball – but not enough to keep it going over the line.

Foulkes was soon in action again, this time smothering the ball away from Ustabasi. On 69 minutes Ben Toseland got in a mess dealing with a high ball and was thankful to Gascoigne for clearing the Chorley effort away from the goal line.

Chorley made a couple of substitutions as well as Decarrey Sheriff replacing Kemy Agustien on 63 minutes.  Home skipper, Scott Leather then headed wide from a 70th minute corner.

One of the home substitutes, Justin Johnson, saw a shot blocked out and a second shot from the rebound was held by Foulkes. Johnson then drilled an 81st minute cross too far, missing all the attackers.

Sheriff was instrumental in an 84th minute move for Kettering, which saw Ward’s shot deflected marginally wide as time was running out for the Poppies. A last throw of the dice saw Toseland replaced by Sam Bennett with only 5 minutes left and his first action saw him overrun the ball when in a good position.

Johnson was really in the game at the end for Chorley on the right, keeping possession and setting up chances as Kettering sought to get forward. So much so that Kettering could make no further impression, and Johnson set up Ustabasi  for a late shot which was ballooned over, and Johnson’s final shot was pushed wide by Foulkes.

Full Time:

CHORLEY      2         -         0           KETTERING TOWN

Match Officials: Referee: Gareth Thomas; Assistants: Joe Moss; Matthew Langdon

Attendance: 919 (Kettering fans estimated at 25)

Poppies Media Elgoods Brewery Man of the Match: Ethan Hill

Forthcoming matches:


Saturday 19th: HOME to Gloucester City (Isuzu F A Trophy second round proper)

Saturday 26th : HOME to Southport at 3pm 


Friday 2nd: Away at Darlington at 7:45pm

Tuesday 6th: HOME to Gloucester City at 7.45pm

Saturday 10th: HOME TO AFC Fylde at 3pm

Tuesday 13th: Away at AFC Telford United at 7.45pm

Saturday 17th (Reserved for Isuzu FA Trophy 3rd round)

Monday 26th : Away at Peterborough Sports at 3pm


Match report posted by Sadman KTFC.

Team Sheet

Location: Away (AWAY)
Kick Off: 12th Nov 2022
Kettering Town FC
0 Hall
0 Sampson