The Poppies bowed out of this season’s Isuzu F A Trophy at St Ives today,losing 3-2.

A woeful first half for Kettering saw the visitors going in 2-0 down courtesy of a Jonathan Edwards strike and a Gary Stohrer own goal.The situation worsened early in the second half as former Poppy,Michael Richens, scored a third. Kettering did rally eventually with Ty Lewthwaite on the scoresheet again,along with a second goal from substitute, Sam Bennett- but St Ives survived the recovery and went through to the next round. Luca Purse was sent off in added time for two yellow cards and home Manager, Ricky Marheineke also saw red for comments made to the Referee.


The starting eleven was unchanged.Gedeon Okito joined the substitutes bench together with O’Shane Stewart after suspension, and Will Mellors-Blair was also back amongst the replacements having been cup-tied last week.


1.  Eddie Brearey
2.  Peter Arimbola
3.  Paddy Casey
4.  Michael Richens (Captain)
5.  Jordan Williams
6.  Charlie Johnson
7.  Dan Barton(15 Fernando Bell-Toxtle,80)
8.  Myles Cowling (17 Luke Harris,80)
9.  Jonathan Edwards
10 Brandon Njoku (16 Tiago Nassunculo,90+3)
11 Josh Tomlinson

Unused substitutes:
12 Aaron Smith
14 Tyrone Baker

Yellow card:Richens,76


1. Billy Johnson
2. Owen Cochrane
3. Ben Toseland (10 Sam Bennett,50)
5. Kelvin Langmead
7. Leon Clarke
8. Gary Stohrer
9  Tyrone Lewthwaite
11 Rhys Sharpe
12 Dan Jarvis (18 Tom Scott,67)
15 Huw Dawson (4 Harry Reilly,67)
18 Luca Purse

Unused Substitutes:
14 Gedeon Okito
17 Josiah Bridgeman
19 O’Shane Stewart
20 Will Mellors-Blair

Yellow cards: Toseland,9; Purse 41 and 90+2 = Red card 90+2.


The first half was all St Ives,with the Poppies completely off colour and hardly out of their own half.

An early home corner was cleared and a 6th minute effort from Myles Cowling fell kindly for Billy Johnson in the Kettering goal.Ben Toseland earned a 10th minute yellow card and St Ives then forced three unproductive corners.

Cowling soon created another opening but shot wide when well placed.Johnson was then sharply off his line to smother from Cowling as he burst through. Former Poppy,Michael Richens then fired wide.

With only 15 minutes gone,Kettering had been pinned in their own half and some spirited runs from Dan Barton were putting the Poppies about somewhat.

A 17th minute move, involving Barton,Jonny Edwards and Brandon Njoku saw Njoku waste a great chance as his shot hit the side netting.Kettering’s first real entry into the home penalty area came on 21 minutes with Rhys Sharpe’s long throw from which Dan Jarvis tried a shot,which deflected to home keeper Eddie Brearey.

As the first half hour passed,another Richens shot was an easy save for Johnson. The Poppies started to put the odd pass together and Stevenage loanee,Owen Cochrane got a cross in from the right, which was straight to Brearey.The Poppies then won a corner on the left and, as the set piece was cleared,St Ives broke away. Jonny Edwards found himself on the right touchline and he tried a deep cross. Unfortunately for Billy Johnson,the cross was strong and near to goal and with no home player in sight the ball beat the keeper and went into the net off the far post.It was a fluke but it was a goal.

There was worse to come for Kettering as,in the second minute of added time,skipper,Gary Stohrer,who had struggled all half,inexplicably overhit a back pass to Johnson from around 25 yards and the keeper was stranded as the ball crossed the line for an own goal.

Half Time:

ST IVES TOWN           2       –        0         KETTERING TOWN

There were no team changes at the start of the half.

An early long throw into the home penalty area by Sharpe was cleared and then Kelvin Langmead headed on a Stohrer free kick-off- but straight at Brearey.

Sam Bennett entered the fray on 50 minutes replacing Ben Toseland as the formation changed to a more attacking mode. However,within two minutes St Ives scored a third. Another quick break saw the live Barton on the left and his low cross was swept in by Richens.

Kettering at last got going -albeit at 0-3 down. A long ball down the left found Ty Lewthwaite and he cut inside to unleash a fierce shot past Brearey to reduce the deficit.

St Ives responded with shots from Nyoku and Edwards- both well wide and Dan Jarvis’s shot at the other end was saved by Brearey.

Kettering pulled another goal back on 70 minutes.Stohrer’s shot was deflected into the path of Bennett and his finish was clinical.

Richness was fortunate not to get a second yellow card for a heavy tackle, which the Referee was considering, only to be distracted by comments from home Manager,Ricky Marheineke,which earned him a red card.

Despite introducing fresh legs in Harry Reilly and Tom Scott (for Jarvis and Dawson) Kettering found it difficult to put more pressure on the home defence.The best they could muster was an off-balance shot from Bennett,which flew out of the ground.St Ives also had an effort from Paddy Casey which had the same end result.

Unfortunately for Kettering and Luca Purse, the young defender received a justified second yellow card and was sent off in added time.

Full Time:

ST IVES TOWN              3      –        2            KETTERING TOWN

Match Officials: Referee: Martyn Mitchell; Assistants: Tolga Yidiztepe and Oliver Holyoak

Attendance: 351 (Kettering fans and officials estimated at 175)

Poppies Media,Elgoods Brewery Man of the Match: Tyrone Lewthwaite.

Match Report by Sadman KTFC

Forthcoming Home games:

Saturday October 21st: Mickleover Sports at 3pm

Tuesday October 31st: AFC Telford United at 7.45pm

Forthcoming Away games:

Saturday October 14th: Chestefield (Emirates F A Cup 4th Round Qualifying) at 3pm

Tuesday October 24th:Leiston at 7.45pm

Saturday October 28th at Berkhamsted at 3pm