Stamford AFC 3 – 2 Kettering Town


The Poppies were in front twice in this game through a Sam Bennett penalty after
just 4 minutes and, following a controversial equaliser from Jack Duffy in the 29th minute, a Tyrone Lewthwaite goal on 28 minutes restored the advantage. Stamford equalised before the break through skipper Rob Morgan. The Poppies had a number of chances to re-take the lead in the first 15 minutes of the second half but conceded what was to be the winner on 72 minutes when James Blunden headed home from a corner.

Luca Purse was injured and not in the squad along with Gedeon Okito who is suspended.


1 Ben Whiting
2 Joe Burgess
3 Connor Bartle
4 Harry Vince (14 Michael Armstrong, 19)
5 Ashton Offler
6 James Blunden
7 Tremayne Charles (17 Lee Shaw,72)
8 Rob Morgan (Captain)
9 Jack Duffy
10 Ricky Miller (12 Bill Bennett,82)
11 Ollie Brown-Hill

Unused substitutes:
15 Bradley Munns
16 Harry Wood

Yellow Cards:
Burgess,12; Morgan, 13; Drury ( Manager,)36

1 Billy Johnson
2 Owen Cochrane
3 Ben Toseland

4 Harry Reilly (17 Charley Barker,85)
5 Kelvin Langmead
6 Lewis White (7 Kai O’Keefe,82)
8 Gary Stohrer (Captain)
9 Tyrone Lewthwaite
10 Sam Bennett
11 Rhys Sharpe
15 Huw Dawson (19 James Carvell,65)

Unused Substitutes:
18 Luca Miller
20 Tai Willams
Yellow Card: Stohrer,33


The Zeeco stadium was subject to storm Antoni this afternoon as driving rain and strong winds drove across the stadium. The pitch held up well but was inevitably going to be slippery on top.

An early foray from the Daniels came to nought and it was the Poppies who were to strike first. As the ball was played through into the Stamford penalty area the ball flew off a defender’s boot and hit him on the hand. The penalty decision was harsh to say the least, and Sam Bennett confidently beat Ben Whiting in the home goal with a crisp penalty.

Stamford earned two early yellow cards on 12 and 13 minutes for over exuberant tackles as both Joe Burgess and Rob Morgan entered the Referee’s report.

A couple of minutes later it should have been 2-0. Gary Stohrer leapt on a mistake and put a great ball through to Tyrone Lewthwaite who flicked the ball past Whiting only to be denied by a hasty clearance.

Stamford got a grip of the game in midfield and enjoyed a lot of possession for a good 15 minutes, but without troubling Billy Johnson in the visitors’ goal.

Stamford equalised in confusing circumstances in the 29th minute. The ball cannoned off the Referee allowing Stamford to create a dangerous attack from which Jack Duffy powered the ball high into the net. The Kettering players, clearly upset at the Referee’s contact with the ball, protested that the game should have been stopped and restarted with a dropped ball- but to no avail and the goal stood.

The Poppies drove forward and Harry Reilly’s shot was blocked and Rhys Sharpe’s follow up was pushed away by Whiting. Then Bennett’s cross was spilled by the keeper, but a defender came to his rescue.

Gary Stohrer was cautioned for continuing protests to the Referee and on 36 minutes, home Manager, Graham Drury, who had had two previous ‘discussions’ with the Referee was cautioned by the Official for yet more ‘discussion’.

The Poppies re-took the lead on 38 minutes as Lewthwaite ran onto a poor back pass, rounded the keeper and swept the ball in.

The lead, however, lasted just five minutes as Ben Morgan met a cross from the left just before Huw Dawson and glanced a neat header in at the right post past the diving Johnson.

In added time there was a flurry of activity as Bennett had a shot well blocked for Kettering and Ricky Miller put a left foot drive across goal for Stamford. Morgan’s shot was deflected past Johnson for a ‘goal’ but the deflection came off a player in an offside position. Owen Cochrane’s shot for Kettering was deflected wide and finally visiting keeper, Johnson, held a Joe Burgess low shot.

Half Time:


There were no substitutions as Stamford derived the benefit of the gale and as Johnson soon found, the ball looped on the wind forcing him to scramble and concede a fruitless corner.

Defender Lewis White turned into a right winger and after a pacy run his cross was met by Sharpe,but the shot was over.

Kettering had a very good spell, forcing the Daniels back. A good move involving Stohrer and Reilly saw Sharpe, again, not working the keeper as he shot wide of the right post. Dawson miscued badly wide from a good position and then Reilly got on the end of an incisive move but also misfired badly. The best chance, on the hour, saw a dreadful piece of defending allowing Owen Cochrane a glorious chance 18 yards out with Whiting out of position- but he blazed the ball over the bar.

Miller, for Stamford then had an opening but the shot was poor. On 64 minutes Kettering almost scored as Huw Dawson met a cross from right by Bennett and got something on the ball which went wide, In doing this the midfielder crashed against the post with a head injury and was replaced by James Carvell.

After this Stamford saw an opportunity and came back into the game. Tre Charles’ shot was deflected for a corner on the left and the restart was headed in at the back post by James Blunden.

Stamford saw their chance to win the game and tightened the game up, giving Kettering little sight of goal. Miller again shot well wide and Johnson had to force away a cross from the right just under the bar. Ollie Brown-Hill’s shot was held by Johnson at the second attempt and Kettering’s last chance, in added time, saw Sharpe’s free kick blocked by the defensive wall

Full Time:


Match Officials: Referee: Haydn Lavender; Assistants: Thomas Bingley and Keir Sheppard

Attendance: 818 (Kettering fans and Officials estimated at 300)

Poppies Media Elgoods Brewery Man of the Match: Sam Bennett

Match Report by Sadman KTFC.

Forthcoming Home games:
Saturday August 12th : Stourbridge at 3pm
Saturday August 19th :Halesowen Town at 3pm
Monday August 28th : St Ives Town at 3pm

Forthcoming Away games:
Monday August 14th: Barwell at 7.45pm
Saturday August 19th : Redditch United at 3pm